Senior Writer, Studio
Studio@Gizmodo is Gizmodo Media's creative advertising arm, comprised of writers, designers, producers, and strategists who invent, inspire, and develop original ideas with our brand partners. We transform these original ideas into tangible, authentic experiences from start to finish, production to promotion – including original videos, visually stunning infographics, captivating posts, and exciting events.
We are part of Gizmodo Media Group, publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik and The Root. As part of Fusion Media Group, we join a collection of sites including The Onion, The AV Club, and Clickhole, to reach some 100 million unique visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the Role
The Senior Writer plays a crucial role within Studio@Gizmodo and is managed by the Content Director. Strong writing and editing skills, boundless enthusiasm for creating compelling web content, and an interest in writing as a career path are essential. Experience in video is a must. An unflinching adherence to the highest standards of web publishing is a must.
- Brainstorming, researching, writing, and editing posts, videos, and other content for proposals and sold custom executions for campaigns across all Gizmodo Media properties
- Writing post copy and scripts quickly and on-tone for both Gizmodo Media and clients
- Communicating with Strategy, Design, Sales, Operations, and Account Management teams regarding campaign objectives and parameters
- Respecting production schedules
- Being a student of all parts of the advertising sales process to better inform your work
- Two to three years’ writing experience at a creative agency or publisher, or three to four years’ experience as a professional web writer in an editorial or other capacity, or enough talent to prove formal experience doesn’t matter
- Experience with conceiving of video series, writing scripts or beat sheets, and providing feedback on cuts.
- Impeccable grammar, punctuation, copyediting, and proofreading skills
- Familiarity with Gizmodo Media properties, and a deep knowledge of web trends and technology
- A desire to contribute to the future of creative work and brand advertising on the web
- Expertise in content management systems, including images, video, and basic HTML
- Ability to multitask
- An active social media/online presence
- Ability to graciously take direction/edits, and propensity for beating deadlines
- Confident, friendly communication style and inherent desire to creatively problem-solve
- Familiarity with Google Docs, Calendars, Gmail, Photoshop, and/or video editing experience
- Sharp sense of humor